THE HIMALAYAN ANTI-AIDS & NARCOTIC DRUGS SOCIETY (H.A.N.D.S)
HANDS is an organisation founded to spread awareness regarding HIV/AIDS and to tackle the explosive rise in drug abuse in Kalimpong. Its main objectives are:
- To organise training facilities, seminars and workshops in order to disseminate information on AIDS and drug abuse, as a part of both adult and school AIDS and drug abuse education programmes.
- To provide counselling to drug/alcohol addicts and their families, in order to help them deal with their addiction.
- To conduct therapeutic input sessions with addicts.
- To conduct outreach programmes with addicts in their own homes and communities, in order to encourage them to visit the day-care centre.
- In the long term, to set up a Rehabilitation Centre at Kalimpong, where addicts from the area may obtain treatment at affordable rates.